Biweekly links for 11/02/2009
- Charlie’s Diary: How habitable is the Earth?
- Not very, according to this very interesting article by Charlie Stross.
- Google Search Guru Singhal: We Will Try Outlandish Ideas – BusinessWeek
- Informative interview with the head of Google’s search ranking team. They run 6000 experiments per year, make about 500 changes per year to how search ranking works. Academic stemming algorithms don’t really work for Google. They have a very low-friction system for running tests, making it very easy to deploy the large amounts of infrastructure needed to run the tests.
- The Prime lexicon
- English words that are prime when interpreted as base 36 numbers – “Animation” is prime, for example. Sentences made up with primes would be fun, or even a book.
Click here for all of my del.icio.us bookmarks.