This is the wiki for polymath projects - massively collaborative online mathematical projects. The idea of such projects originated in Tim Gowers' blog post Is massively collaborative mathematics possible?
Many polymath projects will be proposed, planned, and run at this blog.
Existing polymath projects
- Polymath1: New proofs and bounds for the density Hales-Jewett theorem. Initiated Feb 1, 2009; now in the process of writing up the results.
- Polymath2: Must an “explicitly defined” Banach space contain c_0 or ell_p? Initiated Feb 17, 2009; largely inactive at present
- Mini-polymath1: Solving Problem 6 of the 2009 International Mathematical Olympiad. Initiated July 20, 2009; five proofs obtained so far.
Proposed polymath projects
- The cap set problem. Proposed March 25, 2009 (see also these two followup posts).
- The polynomial Hirsch conjecture. Proposed July 17, 2009. (See also this followup post.)
- A deterministic way to find primes. Proposed July 27, 2009. Already fairly active.
- Boshernitzan’s problem. Proposed July 27, 2009.
A (partial) list of proposed projects can be found here.
Note on anonymous editing
To help combat spam, anonymous editing has been disabled, and a captcha system added to hinder automated account creation. If this is causing problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.